The Malaysian Industrial Development Finance (MIDF) has finally submitted a proposal to merge with Al Rajhi Bank which would see MIDF’s parent company Permodalan Nasional acquire a controlling 60 percent stake in the newly merged entity. Al-Rajhi Bank, which is the world’s largest Islamic lender by assets, would own the remaining 40 percent.
According to reports, MIDF submitted the proposal to merge with Al-Rajhi on Wednesday, two days prior to the September 27 deadline.
The merger deal, which is expected to be completed by the end of the year, will also see Permodalan Nasional recording a substantial gain on disposal as the deal is structured as an acquisition of MIDF by Al Rajhi Bank.
After the successful completion of the deal, MIDF would transform into a full-fledged Islamic bank. It will also be able to expand into new segments such as digital banking and also launch new investment products.
The new entity could have combined net assets of RM13.4 billion. It is speculated that the new entity could also get listed in the near future.
Merger talks between MIDF and Al Rajhi commenced in January after Bank Negara, the Malaysian central bank gave its approval. The deal received two further extensions over the year to June 27 and later to Sept 27.
Currently, Bank Islam Malaysia and Bank Muamalat Malaysia are the two biggest standalone Islamic banks operating in Malaysia.
Recently, Bank Islam Malaysia announced that it will invest RM300 million over the next three years on digitisation to improve service and sustain growth.
MIDF Research expects Malaysia’s GDP to grow at 4.9 percent year-on-year in 2019.