VPS Healthcare is a global healthcare organization with its headquarters in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Established in 2007, VPS Healthcare is an integrated healthcare service provider, which has 22 operational hospitals, over 125 healthcare centres, and over 13,000 employees. It has one of the largest pharmaceutical manufacturing plants in Dubai and its medical support services are spread across the Middle East, Europe and India.
VPS Healthcare represents a brand image of excellence in the healthcare delivery system by offering comprehensive patient management at worldwide quality standards across the MENA Region and to the entire strata of the community. The World Economic Forum (WEF) has designated VPS Healthcare as an Industry Partner.
It is also a part of the WEF’s MENA Regional Partnership Community. VPS Healthcare is also the proud holder of the Guinness World Record for Largest Simultaneous Self-Examination for Breast Cancer 2014.
In 2010, VPS Healthcare introduced Response Plus Medical services in Abu Dhabi. Response Plus Medical services cater to the needs of the people in their worksite. It also coordinates specialized medical and ambulance services to assist medical needs during sporting and entertainment events.
Moreover, along with increasing income, the company has placed a strong emphasis on helping out communities and those in need. To spread the word about cancer, VPS Healthcare was the first private healthcare organization to use mobile mammography devices. Additionally, the company launched a worldwide mission to perform 1,000 free heart operations for those who are less fortunate financially.
For the past few years, VPS Healthcare has also been tasked with addressing the healthcare needs of Yemen war victims and Syrian refugees. Similarly, when the Indian state of Kerala was hit by the Nipah virus and catastrophic floods, the healthcare sector was the first to give assistance to the state’s government.
The brain behind this successful venture is 46-year-old Shamsheer Vayalil, an experienced entrepreneur and investor.
Who is Shamsheer Vayalil?
- Shamsheer Vayalil was born and brought up in Kerala, India
- He completed his MBBS from Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, then obtained his MD in radiology from Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai
- After completing his master’s, Shamsheer Vayalil worked as a radiologist for 12 months at Sheikh Khalifa Medical City, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- In 2007, he opened his first hospital – LLH Hospital in Abu Dhabi under VPS Healthcare Group
- Between 2008 to 2018, VPS Healthcare started 20 hospitals in the Middle East, Europe and India
- In 2019, Shamsheer Vayalil was a member of the advisory committee of the University Of Sharjah College Of Medicine
- In 2020, he became the board of directors of Kannur International Airport Limited
- Shamsheer Vayalil is the recipient of the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award, India’s highest civilian award presented to Non-Resident Indians
- He is also among the first investors to receive long-term residency in the UAE and Oman
- According to Forbes, as of January 2023, the net worth of Shamsheer Vayalil is around USD 3.1 Billion
Understanding Shamsheer Vayalil’s Vision
In an interview with Arab Health, he talked about what driving forces are needed for both the Middle East and Africa region to grow.
“There is a pressing need for countries to build sustainable healthcare systems, especially given the high prevalence of lifestyle-related diseases. In parallel, governments are also exploring ways to reduce their share of healthcare spending. This new landscape calls for affordable and accessible healthcare, without compromising on quality,” Shamsheer Vayalil said.
“These indicators also signal the need for us to maximise efficiencies in the healthcare sector. Innovation and the creation of new services will be a step in the right direction to drive sustainable business in this environment. As new offerings get introduced in the market, it is imperative that healthcare providers are able to work with regulators to ensure that we have the right frameworks in place, which benefit the industry, and most importantly, patients. We believe VPS Healthcare’s value-based approach to healthcare has the potential to unlock benefits for patients and help shape the future of the industry, despite the underlying challenges we face,” he added.
Shamsheer Vayalil also noted some trends in the UAE healthcare industry.
“The UAE has already begun building a sustainable healthcare roadmap. The services and infrastructure are both constantly evolving in order to exceed international healthcare standards, thus promoting medical tourism. This, in turn, is attracting foreign investment and is drawing in more healthcare practitioners every year. The UAE is also developing into a robust pharmaceutical hub. Now we need to build a strong pharmaceutical manufacturing capacity to cater to global demand and align with the country’s aspirations to transition into a knowledge economy. We are very proud that LIFEPharma, our pharmaceutical manufacturing company, which has a facility in Jebel Ali Free Zone, and will be opening another facility in Abu Dhabi, is helping lead this transformation,” he concluded.